How to use T-mobilitat
All you need to know to travel in a smart way with public transport.
Register online with the TMB App or the TMB Tickets website. You can also register in person, at the T-mobilitat kiosks on the metro network, by requesting a prior appointment. If you are entitled to the discount for single-parent or large families, find out how to manage registration and activate your profile in Other transactions.
More information at Sign up with T-mobilitat
You can travel on the entire public transport network with a single pre-paid card, or using your mobile phone.
It offers convenience, because it allows you to carry out many procedures, purchases and enquiries through the internet and the mobile application. It also provides security, because you will have a more durable, long-lasting card than the ones with magnetic strips, and it will enable you to keep any tickets bought in the event of loss, theft or damage.
With the TMB App, you can carry out other procedures, consult changes to public transport in real time or search for the best routes for your journey.
More information on Benefits
No, they don’ t change. Prices and fares are approved by the Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Transport Authority of the Barcelona area each year.
The card costs 4.5 euros. It can be used indefinitely and has a five-year warranty. The reason there is a charge for the card is to cover a small part of the production cost of the cards and the digital infrastructure for T-mobilitat. The T-mobilitat supports are much more durable than a cardboard card and have other advantages.
The extra function enabling users to charge tickets to their mobile, called electronic wallet, has a symbolic one-off cost of 1 euro the first time it is downloaded.
There are two: the prepaid top-up card and mobile devices. Both are contactless and operate independently of each other.
The card is PVC and has a five-year warranty, which covers any manufacturing defects in the chip. However, the warranty does not cover any damage or wear and tear from using the card or due to improper use by users.
For the mobile version, you need a mobile phone with an Android operating system and NFC technology. If you have a device with an iOS operating system and NFC technology, you can also download the app and use your mobile phone to download tickets in PVC version, but at the moment, you do not have the function of validating the ticket to access public transport. Yes, you can buy tickets and load them from your mobile onto a T-mobilitat contactless card.
If you want, you can buy a prepaid card and have the mobile app at the same time, but they work independently, like two different versions that are not linked.
More information on Select a support
People of legal age can register for T-mobilitat and have their own user or T-mobilitat account.
Minors and other dependent persons can have a T-mobilitat user as long as it is linked to the T-mobilitat user or account of a person responsible for the minor or dependent person (family, legal guardians). This person of legal age is the one who can manage the account of the minor or dependent person.
Remember that you must always bring a valid official ID document to show that your transport card is yours.
Users of other tickets, such as the T-4 or the Targeta Rosa, will have to continue using the traditional system until these tickets are available on T-mobilitat.
More information on Other procedures
The T-mobilitat card will be sent to the address you have indicated within approximately ten days. If you have not heard anything within this time period, contact the TMB customer service channels or the T-mobilitat Help and Information Centre by calling 900 928 900 or using the ‘Complaints and Suggestions’ section form.
Customers themselves can look at their profile, through the website and TMB App, to check the status of their card. Users can obtain detailed information on the dispatch status through the Correos website. They can also enquire at TMB points, by calling the TMB telephone number, or through the web enquiry form.
More information on Sales and costumer services
For a few months, the new T-mobilitat system and the conventional magnetic system will coexist and both can be used. When the T-mobilitat system is consolidated and fully deployed, tickets with magnetic strips that we have been using up to now will be withdrawn, so that the T-mobilitat system will be the benchmark platform for public transport and mobility in the Barcelona area. During this period, you can purchase tickets with magnetic strips, even if you have the T-mobilitat ticket.
More information on What is T-mobilitat?
Initially, on any public transport system for journeys between the 36 municipalities of the metropolitan area of Barcelona. The T-mobilitat system will gradually be deployed throughout the rest of the territory.
There is the exception of the intercity bus lines operated by the companies Sagalés and Casas, which, although they have stops in this area of the initial deployment, also go out of the 36 municipalities, and for technical reasons will be incorporated later.
New contactless access systems have been installed on vehicles and at stations throughout the network, and the ticket validation machines we have been using up to now will continue operating. All you have to do is tap your card or mobile on the panel with the logo that symbolises the contactless method.
More information on How do you validate your ticket?
- If it is a general ticket, such as a T-usual ticket, you will have to pay the minimum fine to the operator that has imposed the penalty on you to unlock it. If it is a subsidised ticket, such as the T-jove, FM/FN tickets (single-parent family/large family), which require accreditation and have special prices, in addition to paying the minimum fine, you must present a written document at any face-to-face point or through the form on this website, explaining the reasons for requesting the unlocking to the Metropolitan Transport Authority, which is the body that has to decide whether or not to unlock your card.
- If you travel with an uncharged mobile device or your mobile stops working, you are considered to be travelling without a ticket, as the user is responsible for ensuring their mobile is working correctly. The intervention team could therefore impose a minimum fine on you. However, you have 48 hours in which to have the penalty overturned and prove that you were travelling with a validated ticket, which will have been registered in your travel history.
More information on Other procedures
- The technology on which the T-mobilitat system is based is highly reliable. However, if the support stops working, you can get a duplicate with the tickets it contains at any of the face-to-face points on the network that provide this service. This duplicate, considered as an exchange, is free, so long as the support stops operating for reasons beyond the control of the user and it is under warranty. If the card is not under warranty or has been damaged by the user, you will have to pay for a new one. The tickets on the damaged card will be transferred free of charge to the new card.
- If the card is damaged once you have already validated the ticket, go to one of the face-to-face customer service points included in the T-mobilitat project and ask for a duplicate card.
- If you are on the metro and the card is damaged before you have validated your ticket and you are unable to enter the network, ask the station staff to exchange it. Afterwards, you should go to a face-to-face point to receive the duplicate. If you are on the bus network, you will have to purchase an incident ticket and then request a refund of the ticket and the duplicate of the card at the customer service points.
- The duplicate is free of charge whenever the card stops operating for reasons beyond the control of the user and is under warranty. If the card is not under warranty (five years) or the user has damaged it, they will have to pay for a new one. In any case, you will get the duplicate with the tickets you had on your card before it was damaged.
- If you have blocked your card, you can unlock it as long as you have not requested a duplicate. You can request the blocking or unlocking from the personal area of the website and the app, or in person at authorised kiosks. If you find that the T-mobilitat is blocked due to a penalty, or you are unaware of the reason, contact us through the channels we offer you.
In the event of the loss or theft of your card, you can block it to ensure that no one else uses it. You can do this from your personal space at TMB Tickets or you can go to a Punt TMB customer services. If you find it later, you can unlock it through the same channel you blocked it.
If you are unable to recover it, you can ask for a duplicate, but you must pay the cost of the new card. From the moment you ask for the duplicate, however, you can no longer use the old card if you find it. Even if you have to pay the price of the new card, you will still keep the ticket or tickets you had loaded on the old one. This procedure can only be done in person at a Punt TMB customer services.
More information on Benefits
T-casual, T-familiar, T-usual, T-jove and their discounted versions for single-parent or large families (FM/FN) can be used with the T-mobilitat card. The range of tickets will be progressively extended. For now, you can have a ticket and a reserve copy of the same ticket on the T-mobilitat card or your mobile phone.
You can buy tickets from your mobile phone and validate them with the same phone, if you have an Android operating system using NFC technology. You can also charge and recharge T-mobilitat cards with both Android and IOS phones, using NFC technology, by holding the card next to your device.
Another option for charging or re-charging travel tickets to your card is by vending machine on the metro network. Once you’ve made your purchase, you will need to bring your card up to the machine’s reader to download the ticket.
More information on Purchasing and uploading transport tickets
- Download T-mobilitat through the TMB App and manage the cards, tickets and other options with your mobile phone, both Android and iOS. If you also have a T-mobilitat card, you can buy tickets from your mobile phone and load them onto the card by tapping your mobile on the card.
- If you have an Android operating system phone with NFC technology, you can also access public transport by validating your ticket on your mobile, thanks to the contactless system. In such cases you will be required to download a function known as electronic wallet, which will automatically be linked to your user profile and mobile phone, and where purchased tickets are stored. Using the e-wallet requires a one-time payment of 1 euro before you can upload the first title.
- If your phone does not have NFC, you cannot directly load the ticket purchased onto the card by tapping the mobile on the card, which is what NFC means: Near Field Communication. To load the ticket, you need to go to the vending machines on the metro network.
- If you replace your Android mobile with NFC with another mobile that uses the same operating system and NFC technology and you've got tickets stored on your old mobile, you can transfer your tickets to the new mobile and keep them under the same terms and conditions. All you have to do is unlink your e-wallet from your old mobile and link it to the new mobile. If you replace your Android mobile phone with an iOS mobile, you will not be able to keep you e-wallet, as iOS does not presently allow the use of this T-mobilitat function.
Initially, the social or discounted tickets that can be used with T-mobilitat are T-jove and the single-parent and large family tickets (FM/FN).
If you want one of these tickets and the platform does not offer you the option of buying them, it is because you do not meet the necessary requirements or have not presented the relevant documentation to show that you meet them.
With the new system, users have specific discounted profiles, according to their characteristics and the documentation they present.
If you’re under the age of 25, you’ll be automatically assigned a Jove profile and eligible to purchase the T-jove card as soon as you've signed up for a T-mobilitat card.
If you have another specific discounted profile, such as single-parent or large family (FM/FN), it is necessary to carry out the following procedures:
- If you have not yet registered for the T-mobilitat, you should ask for an appointment at a T-mobilitat kiosk to request the registration and activation of your profile. You will need to present documents during the procedure that prove your profile status.
- If you have already managed to register with T-mobilitat, you need to go along to a T-mobilitat kiosk, without an appointment, and provide the documentation proving your profile status.
You only need to present the supporting documentation once and the information is then registered in your profile. You will have access to discounted tickets until your FN/FM card expires.
In the case of a single-parent or large families, once you have registered with T-mobilitat and activated your profile, you can modify your personal data and the profiles associated with your travel card from the personal space in TMB Tickets.
For more information go to Other transactions.
Please consult the T-mobilitat ticket refund policy.