Advice and rules for use
- Be polite and courteous to TMB employees and other public transport users.
- Follow the instructions given by TMB staff, signs and announcements.
- Respect the facilities and the vehicles and use them in the manner intended.
- Respect the seats that are reserved for passengers with special requirements.
- If travelling with small children, hold them by the hand at all times.
- Make sure you hold on tightly to the handrails etc. if travelling standing up.
- Bear in mind how to travel by metro and how to travel by bus.
- Contact metro or bus staff to report any incidents.
The following are not permitted on TMB buses or within the metro network:
- Smoking (electronic cigarettes and similar devices included).
- Entering the vehicle when you have been advised that it is full.
- Forcing or preventing the opening or closing of the vehicle doors.
- Travelling without footwear or without covering the torso or lower part of the body.
- Travelling with hazardous materials or items that are a nuisance to other passengers. On buses, no parcels larger than 100 x 60 x 25 are allowed (except baby buggies).
- Distributing advertising material.
The use of skates and similar equipment is not allowed anywhere on metro premises nor on board buses. You can carry them with you so long as they do not disturb other travellers. They also need to be carried folded up whenever possible.
On both the metro and the bus networks guide and other assistance dogs (wearing a tag and a blue jacket), patrol dogs that accompany security guards and domestic animals transported in specially designed carriers to ensure that they do not make a mess or inconvenience other passengers.
Furthermore, dogs wearing ID chips and entered on the municipal pet register are allowed in the metro in compliance with the following:
Time of day:
- On weekdays from 11 September to 24 June, dogs are not allowed on the metro between 7.00 and 9.30 am, and between 5.00 and 7.00 pm.
- At weekends and on public holidays, dogs are allowed at any time and during the summer (from 24 June to 11 September).
- At times when the metro is likely to be very crowded and the safety of passengers and animals so requires, the operator may restrict access with dogs.
- Only one dog per person.
- Under 18s are not allowed to be in charge of potentially dangerous breeds, in accordance with current legislation. Anyone travelling with such breeds of dog must have with them the corresponding dog licence and proof of registration on the municipal pet register.
- From the time they enter the metro premises until they leave and are once again in the street, all dogs must wear a muzzle and be kept on a non-extending lead and remain within 50 cm of the handler.
- Dogs may use the lifts and the stairs. For safety reasons, they are not allowed on escalators.
- Dogs are not allowed on seats on the Barcelona metro.
- The person liable for a dog's behaviour is the person in charge of the dog at the time. Therefore, handlers must ensure that the dog poses no risk or nuisance to the other passengers. Nor must they block the doors or passing areas in parts of the metro (lifts, etc.) or on trains.
- The dog's handler will be liable for any damage or harm caused to passengers or the company. The dog's owner will be vicariously liable.
- If the terms and condition established for travelling with dogs on the metro are not met, the handler at the time will be committing, according to the circumstances, a minor or serious offence (pursuant to articles 64.s) or 65.p) of Law 4/2006 of 31 March on rail transport.
Bicycles are not permitted on buses, except folding bikes, which must be completely folded.
Passengers are permitted to bring bicycles on the metro on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, and every day during July and August. On weekdays throughout the rest of the year, bicycles are permitted from 5.00 am until 7.00 am, from 9.30 am until 5.00 pm and from 8.30 pm until close of the service. Fully folded folding bicycles can be taken on the metro at any time, provided that they do not prove a nuisance to other passengers.