During the Christmas holiday the demand for transport to school and work decreases, but it increases in the shopping and leisure areas, as well as due to people travelling to visit family. The bus and metro service is adapted to specific travel needs during this period.
- New Year's Eve: buses will run during normal hours. Also, this year the New Year's chimes celebration will take place at the Magic Fountain, Montjuïc. The show will affect bus numbers 13, 23 and 150, which run along Avinguda de la Reina Maria Cristina. During the preparations for the event these buses will be diverted along Carrer de Mèxic from Friday 27 December onwards.
- 5 January: buses will run during normal hours. However, due to the Three Kings' Parade, traffic will be restricted and the routes of a majority of the bus lines will be affected, with shortened or redirected routes between 4.00 and 10.00 pm. It is recommended that the metro be used to travel to the different points of the celebration.
Check your bus timetable
In order to avoid the congestion associated with holiday traffic, the metro is the best option. On working days the normal winter hours will be maintained, which will provide suitable transport capacity both at rush hour and during the remaining time slots.
- On Saturdays the usual non-stop service will be provided.
- New Year's Eve: the metro will run all night from Tuesday, 31 December, to Wednesday, 1 January.
- 5 January: as the following day is a holiday, the metro will run until 2.00 am. Extra services will be provided at the most frequented stations, such as Ciutadella / Vila Olímpica (L4), Barceloneta (L4), Jaume I (L4), Urquinaona (L1 and L4), Drassanes (L3), Catalunya (L1 and L3), Universitat (L1 and L2), Liceu (L3), Paral·lel (L2 and L3), Sant Antoni (L2), Rocafort (L1), Urgell (L1) and Espanya (L1 and L3).
- 6 January: as it is a Monday, the metro will run until midnight.
Check the metro network timetable
See more information on the leisure transport services we provide
Over the holiday season, the city has a number of events organised to celebrate Christmas. Some of them may cause disruptions to bus services.
- Until 6 January.
- Recommended transport: you can take the bus, numbers 12, 9, 14, 24, 41, 50, 54, 55, 59, 63, 64, 66, 67, 68, 91 (except Sundays, when it doesn't run), 120 (except Sundays, when it doesn't run) and 141.
- For more details, go to the Three Kings Fair Gran Via website .
- Tuesday, 31 December from 2.30 to 8.00 pm.
- Route: starts and ends in Carrer Selva de Mar at Plaça Ramon Calsina and goes along Passeig Garcia Faria, Passeig Calvell, Rotonda Llacuna, Carrer Llacuna, de Salvador Espriu, Plaça dels Voluntaris, Carrer del Doctor Aiguader, Plaça Pau Vila, Pla de Palau, Avinguda Marquès de l'Argentera, Passeig Picasso, Passeig Circumval·lació, Avinguda Icària, Carrer Marina, Pallars, Àlaba, Bolívia, Ciutat de Granada and Avinguda Diagonal.
- Buses affected that will be diverted or operate on a shorter route: D20, H16, V21, 6, 7, 14, 26, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 51, 59, 64, 71, 92, 141 and 192.
- For more details go to the Nose Race website .
- Map of the Nose Race route:
For queries, TMB operates a helpline on 902 07 50 27 (Monday to Sunday, from 8.00 am to 9.00 pm) or see the customer information and services profile on Twitter .